Friday, July 28, 2006

Friday Fifteen

Here's my Friday Fifteen Fun Facts!

FIFTEEN GREAT THINGS I WILL MISS ABOUT SOUTH CAROLINA:

1. Maurice's yellow (mustard-based) barbeque--on chicken, pork, beef, or ribs--it really doesn't matter!

2. The Palmetto Tree and Crescent Moon (state flag symbol) being appropriate decoration for EVERYTHING--office, bathroom, vehicle, jewelry, tatoos, clothing, shower curtains... you get my point!

3. Mass pandemonium (sp??) breaking out anytime there is the slightest chance of flurries or ice in the forecast. Grocery stores are emptied out within minutes, everyone calls in to work, school gets cancelled for days, and everyone drives like idiots--thinking everyone else is the idiot! (I think this one might actually follow me to Texas)

4. Everyone always thanking God for Mississippi for making us state #49 instead of #50 on all the "rate-your-states-stupidity" tests.

5. Seeing the rebel flag flying just about as often as you see the American flag.

6. All the good-ole-boys driving around in their big trucks with fresh mud all over the tires, a fishin' pole in the back, shot-gun rack inside, their dog hangin out the window, with the "I love Jesus" stickers next to their "I'd rather be hunting or fishing" stickers.

7. Being able to jump in the car and drive an hour or two to the mountains, beach, lake, woods, or big city... whatever your desire is for the day.

8. The Irmo Okra Strut. (No explanation will be given for this point. I'm just gonna let the curiosity kill you on that!)

9. Being able to buy as many fireworks as we want and set them off wherever and whenever we want without all these crazy restrictions and all that other states have. (If you're dumb enough to blow your hand off or catch a house on fire, then you shouldn't be messin with them in the first place, right?)

10. "Great" politicians such as John Graham Altman, who are famous for things such as calling the news reporter a dumb blonde. Also University administrators who referred to New Orleans victims as "yard apes." (okay, so I won't really miss this!)

11. SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCK FOOTBALL!!!! (At least I'm going to a state with a great college football team--Hook 'em horns!)

12. The most important piece of legislation being debated is whether cockfighting should be a federal offense or not.

13. Being part of the "Bible Belt."

14. Victory Bible Baptist Church, and the wonderful people there. (Finding a new church will be weird--I've been at this one for all my 24 years!)

15. Last, but not least, mom's home cookin!

See y'all! Have a great weekend.

13 comments:

Kc said...

I couldn't resist so for all those who just have to know... ;-)

Corry said...

You know, I think the question here should NOT be what great things you will miss about SC, but what great things SC will miss about you and that is.... EVERYTHING! :-)

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Corry! There are so many things I'm gonna miss about you living here. But my prayers go with you and I have a great peace from God that He is leading you :). I just don't have a peace about Jason
(yet :( ) And I surely don't know what cooking you are talking about!!!
Love ya'

Anonymous said...

This is actually pretty funny stuff.

Seeing the rebel flag flying just about as often as you see the American flag.

Now, you're gonna see the Mexican flag flying just about as often as you see the American flag, in fact, your new hometown will very likely be part of Mexico in 20 years. I hope you speak Spanish. Remember the Alamo! ;-)

All the good-ole-boys driving around in their big trucks with fresh mud all over the tires, a fishin' pole in the back, shot-gun rack inside, their dog hangin out the window, with the "I love Jesus" stickers next to their "I'd rather be hunting or fishing" stickers.

Aren't there lots of good-ole-boys in Texas too?

Being able to buy as many fireworks as we want and set them off wherever and whenever we want without all these crazy restrictions and all that other states have.

But now since you are a Texan, I think you can buy as many guns as you want and set them off wherever and whenever.

Hook 'em horns!

No argument there. Though, I am not a UT fan, I rooted for them against other SC!

...mom's home cookin!

Everyone likes that!

Tim said...

so you're moving to San Antonio has, in part, to do with a man????

Cool.

Looking for a church in San Antonio? Check out Cornerstone Church. Pastor Hagee is awesome.

Thomas said...

Hello from Seattle.

Elisa said...

I think I could write a list like yours, but about Texas. I haven't seen my home in two years, or had my mother's cooking, and I even miss those ugly mesquite trees. (But you go where the Lord sends you. And wonder if Sarah ever missed Ur.)But, have no fear, though SC is a hard two days drive from TX, there is a lot they have in common.
1. BBQ- The sauce is different, and usually hot but sweet, but the chopped BBQ beef from Ireland's BBQ in Withita Falls is amazing. It'll make you forget all about that mushy hash stuff. And try the steak on garlic sandwich. With mustard, no mayo! O my! And the chicken fried steak with sausage gravy- often called saddleblanket steak. Real salsa. Real queso. Real guac. Real enchiladas and tamales. Brisket. (BBQing is synonymous with grilling. You go to a BBQ and it'll be steak or hamburgers.)
2. The Texas flag is a must. The only other state with as much pride in their flag is South Carolina. Texans use it in the same ways, with the same pride.
3. This will be exactly the same in Texas as in South Carolina. It will follow you. It is better to stay home than venture out on an icy day. 1/2 in of ice will close everything down.
5. Seeing... the Mexican flag as much as the American flag. You will see more of the Texas flag than either, and flying at the same level as the US flag. (Texas was it's own nation and voted to be a part of the US.)
6. Good-ole-boys are called Bubbas. Pick-ups are a way of life.
7. Will not happen. You can drive for 2 hours and still be in the same county, geographical section. It is closer from El Paso to the Pacific ocean than to Austin, the state capitol. But there are mountains, desert, the gulf, piney woods, as well as the plains iof you don't mind a drive.
8. It's called the Texas-Two-Step.
11. Football is concidered a core subject- English, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Football. Schools can't get buses during football season for fieldtrips easily because of football.
13. Texas is a part of the Bible belt. Schools will not schedule any event on Wednesdays because it's Bible study night, homework is often less for Wednesday nights.

Being so far away from home and Mom is so very difficult. Starting new in a foreign place, not matter how similar is hard and lonely. The thing that makes the difference will be fellowship with other believers. Find a good church whose pastor preaches the Gospel soon. The ache for Mom and all things familar lessens as the joy in being with His children spreads.

Antonio said...

Hi Kristi!

You movin, huh?

Your mom can always send you food in the mail!

Blessings!

Antonio

Anonymous said...

what a loss for SC. :)

Bobby said...

Ahh, but in the words of James Taylor, you can always go "back to Carolina in my mind."

Anonymous said...

**This is totally random and off-topic.**

Kristi, I saw on your webpage sidebar that you use Firefox! I think it is a cool browser and puts the competitors to shame! Anyway, one extension I think you might like — which may or may not be aware of — is the Bible Toolbar extension which is keyed into Bible Gateway.com. You can pick your favorite translation and quickly search both passages and verses. My favorite is NKJV.

I have software verse finders too, but this tool is good when I need to reference Scripture in web page articles for example.

http://www.bibletoolbar.net/
http://bibletoolbar.mozdev.org/installation.html

If you already have it, then congratulations. Take care!

Thomas said...

Where are you moving to?

Katie said...

lots of things to miss, that is hard but on the brighter side, you're moving to TEXAS (and I'm excited for that)