Thursday, April 13, 2006

Truly Loved

The concept of love became increasingly blurred,
Slurred, and eventually not even preferred
Over being alone.

The shallow hearts had whispered their empty words,
I heard; my heart stirred momentarily,
But then broke, and retreated.

I promised myself no more confusion and dead-end conclusions.
I sought a resolution to the pain and delusion
Of this great intrusion upon my heart.

Maybe the answer was in building a wall to my emotions.
Devotion and attention-seeking motions would never again
Penetrate this stronghold.

However, darkness soon settled and requested a new solution.
Widespread pollution and stubborn refusion of love
Does not destroy its necessity.

Perhaps loving all, freely, openly, with no reservation
Would be the redeeming preservation
Of some form of love in my life.

But alas, this philosophy burns deep as well.
Into hell, and I fell completely apart
And finally, could no longer feel or be felt.

So this is the wreck, the hurting, lonely soul you have found.
Nothing profound; just a limp body on the ground
Needing the breath of life and love.

You touch me. You bring me close and hold me.
You fold me, and cold dissipates into your warmth
As you whisper softly in my ear.

You tell me you can teach me of true love; of passion,
And my reaction is quite a distraction
Because initially I’m very reluctant.

But you persist. You stop talking and start showing
Love is flowing, and I am glowing
In this previously unknown joy.

I let myself be truly loved for the first time,
And the rhyme and laughter divine that fill my soul
Heal the hurts of the past.

Gradually, I respond to your gentle urging
Purging out faults, and now surging with desire
To love you back.

So I thank you for giving love to me unreservedly
Now I see, I can be loved unselfishly;
Because I feel your heart.

With great wonder I face each new day;
And each way you say, “I love you;
You are precious.”

17 comments:

Bobby said...

What a wealth of internal rhyme you've got going on there!

And a hopeful message as well. 8-)

Katie said...

beautiful
simply perfectly beautiful

Kc said...

I think that's beautiful Kristi. ;-)

Luke said...

I like. Did you write it? If not, who did?

Kristi B. said...

Yes, Luke. I wrote. Thankyou!

Anonymous said...

all I can say is WOW!!! Kristi, that is so amazing. your word choice captivates your audience and makes them continue reading. thanks for sharing :)

Corry said...

I know I am being original, but...girl, that is beautiful!

God's Grace.

Bill said...

This is pretty cool. You are getting good at writing this stuff.

Tim Rice said...

Thanks for sharing that poem of yours. It speaks volume. We all need love and yet we're scared of it. We've sadly learned that love can be risky business and when we're burned we don't want to become that vulnerable again. Yet we all yearn for it and need it at some level.

Anyway, this poem fits a lot of my life's experience. It's gives voice to much that I have felt and still do feel.

Gordon said...

This is really great, Kristi. I am jealous since I am a terrible poet.

Anonymous said...

cool. i like.

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
You always amaze me with your words, they are beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Logan

Rose~ said...

I think it was beautiful also Kristi.

Nunzia said...

that was so beautiful! God bless you! Have a joyful Easter!

Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Kristi, what a beautiful poem. I can so identify with it.

Have a blessed Easter.

Godwyn Lim said...

Dear Sister Kristi,

I love you as Jesus FIRST love me! His mercy & loving kindness embrace us daily, that's how great His Love is for us...The Sinners

audrey` said...

WOW!
This is a very touching poem, Kristi.