Thursday, October 27, 2005

Children's Ministries

In their eyes, I’m not just someone else at church,
I’m the one who first brought them to Sunday School.
In their eyes, I’m not just another Christian,
I’m the one who taught them so much Bible.
In their eyes, I’m not just a cool “grown-up”;
I’m the one they want to be just like.
In their eyes, I’m not just singing songs on the bus,
I’m the one showing and giving them God’s love.

Lord, they think too highly of me.

Oh how I don’t want to let them down.
To give up would be so easy,
But I can already see their frown
As I fail with my responsibility
And fall face-first in the ground.
All their hopes and dreams would die.
They would second-guess their faith;
Look up in the sky
And wonder why they even try.
Lord, I can’t bear to see them go awry.
I represent the only stability they know.
The only place where they grow
Where love and laughter flow.

So Lord,

In Your eyes, may I not be just another child
May I be a child in whom You find delight.
In Your eyes, may I not be the wandering sheep,
May I stay close to Your side.
In Your eyes, may I not be a quitter,
May I run my race to the end.
In Your eyes, may I not stand before you in tears of regret,
May I hear “Well done, my child, welcome home.”

And then, may I turn and see,

Still proud to be following in my steps,
These children who thought the world of me,
Coming to meet their Savior
Who they have served so faithfully.
Lord, help me to be strong.
I’m overwhelmed by the responsibility.
Every time, before I do something wrong,
Let me see their faces
And choose in light of eternity.

8 comments:

Kc said...

What a clear perspective. I think this applies equally to every believer. Our life may be only a drop in the bucket of time but the ripple it makes extends well beyond it.

Ron said...

Kristi,

Powerful. Unless we come to Him as a little child...

You also imply the awesome responsibility a teacher has as well.

By the way, you, a people pleaser? Hard to imagine from your writing!

God Bless,

Nunzia said...

that was beautiful and i loved the pictures you included. you are a child God delights in.. and we delight with Him :)

PackerPundit said...

that was awesome!!!
sounds like ur storing up tons of treasures in heaven

you go girl
God Bless
romey

Tim said...

Kristi

Thanks for reading my blog. I'm impressed with your poetry and ovious strong faith.

Keep up the good work.

jbb said...

awesome poem i love it. i dont teach sunday school but im teaching my first bible study next tues so id love so prayer. and as always thanks for the sweet comments

Kristi B. said...

Thanks everyone! It's encouraging to know that you're reading and enjoying!!

Kc said...

Reading and being blessed. ;-)