Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My trip Part 1

Howdy, ya'll! Good to be back. Can't wait to go see what's been happening with all of you this past week!

Well, I crammed so much into one week, that I'm going to have to split it up in to parts for you. (Besides the fact that my desk is piled high with work from last week, and I really don't have time to be doing this anyways!)

The first day, I spent in Houston. My cousin Brian lives there. He works for the airlines, and got me a sweet deal for the tickets.


We had a lot of fun. We are a lot alike, so when we get together, we can cause a lot of trouble!! But that's all right. That's what family is for, right? He's an animal lover. He's got 3 dogs, and they are just precious. They are so spoiled.


We left the next morning for his parents house. They live on a 900 acre ranch. It was just absolutely gorgeous. They took my phone and watch for 2 days, and said I wasn't allowed to look at either one the whole time I was there! At first, I didn't like that idea, but then I got used to it, and it was really nice. Being there just helps you forget every care in the world. It was very relaxing and peaceful. The driveway alone is about 5 miles long! We had lots of good food. All the meat came from animals hunted on the ranch. We had tamales made with antelope meat, axis deer steaks, whitetail deer steaks, wild pig sausage and bacan. It was soooo good. And, of course I consumed at least 10 liters of Dr. Pepper during my week in Texas.

Here's a shocker: I was up by 5:00 every morning!!! CRAZY! Yeah, I don't know what happened to me, the one who hates getting up and loves to sleep in! I would get up and take the four-wheeler out wherever I pleased, and just sit and watch the animals and take pictures and stuff. It was totally awesome having 900 acres and a fourwheeler. Here's some pictures:


(I have lots more pics of the ranch, but blogger is being stupid right now. I will add more as I'm able.)

My last night at the ranch, I was just itching to shoot something. I've shot guns before--shotguns, rifles, pistols, whatever. But, I'd never actually shot at an animal before, and I wanted to. So, there were some really nice 12-point bucks that I had seen, but my cousin said I couldn't shoot one, because we didn't have time to go get it processed and all. So, I had to shoot something small. We went up to one of the blinds and waited. Lots of whitetail, and axis, sykas, jackrabbits came out to eat. Then a group of five little boars came out. The was no momma boar around. Brian told me I could shoot those.

"What!?? Shoot the baby piggies?? No way."

"Yeah, shoot the babies. They grow up to be big, mean, ugly pigs. They eat all the food. They put holes in the fences. They have 10 or 12 babies at a time. They've got to go. You'll be doing us all a favor."

"Okay, fine. I'll shoot one. Give me the gun."

I got the Remington 270 all lined up, and Brian said,

"Hey, see if you can get two pigs lined up, and get them both with one shot."

"Uh, okay. I've never done this before, and you think I can get two my first time? Whatever. I'll try."

I actually got to a point where I had three lined up. I figured, "Hey, I'm bound to hit at least one if I've got 3 lined up in my crosshairs."

I shot.

Two pigs were on their backs squealing and yelping. (Okay, yeah, I didn't have to put that in there. Sorry.)

They finally rolled over and gave up the ghost, and that's when I saw it.

"Uh, Brian?"

"Yeah? Good shot, girlie!"

"Uh, I think I see a third one down."

"NO WAY"

Yep, sure enough. My one shot had killed three pigs! Everyone was so excited. They were telling me I had broken records, and they took a billion pictures, and called me Annie Oakley and stuff. It was great.

Until I went and looked at them close up. Then it was gross. But I won't describe it. I'll just show you a picture!

Cool. Then it was off to San Antonio. Part 2 coming later.

19 comments:

Kc said...

You really blow me away! No wait, don't! Welcome home Anny O! What a great vacation. I only hope PETA doesn't hack your site now. ;-)

steve said...

Dude sweet! Chicks and guns!!

Nate said...

NICE SHOT!!!

Out Of Jersey said...

I know steve, I think I'm in love.

Antonio said...

A girl with a gun is quite attractive!

I want to eat a little piggie!

This little piggie went to the market...

This little piggie stayed home...

This little piggie had roast beef...

This little piggie had none...

and these three piggies squealed all the way home until I roasted them and ate them with apple-sauce demi-tasse

Antonio

Kristi B. said...

ha ha Antonio!

I honestly had no idea that guys were so crazy about girls with guns. You all crack me up!

steve said...

Just reminds me of being married....

Katie said...

welcome back, well actually you were here and now you're there so welcome back to where you are instead of here where you were (ok everybody got that)

Whee, girls with guns (when pointed at anything other than people) is such a fun thing.

And I dig the whole no watch/no phone thing, frustrating at first but makes life so much simpler.

Kristi B. said...

=)

Instead of uploading more pitures in the post, I sent them to my sidebar. Check them out.

Nephos said...

Great story! At last, a Texas hunting trip where no lawyers were shot. :)

Tim said...

welcome back to the world of phones and watches, ms. reese!!!

Nice pictures hunter girl. Girls n' guns... scary. guys n' guns even scarier. One shot three down is pretty cool even for the most avid hunter. Can't wait to read part two.

Gordon said...

Kristi, glad you had a good trip. Nice shot. Good to "see" you again.

Bill said...

I am blessed that you had a wonderful time and I am glad you are back safe and sound.

Corry said...

Welcome back, girl. Sounds like you took a shot at a great vacation and got it too(grin).

Hmm, doesn't PETA stand for: People Eating Tasty Animals???

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

hey, welcome back! glad to know you had fun. =)

Timothy said...

Annie OAKLEY,
I wish we could have been there with you... what a blast that would have been. Looks like you were in the hill country. It's been a long time since I spent any time in the hill country. We use to go hunting there when I was a kid... guess what, you have shot more animals than I have.

But I did get a chicken hawk one time while hunting dove. It was flying as fast as smell, and I nailed it good... then realized, "Hey, that's not a dove..."
Blessings

Kristi B. said...

Corry, that was funny! The animals were definitely tasty!!

Titus, yes, it was the hill country. The ranch is in Junction, so you know that is right in the middle of hill country!

Timothy said...

Junction!
Yes, I know where that is... there is a book called Junction Boys, about the 1957 Aggies that were coached by Snarling Grizzly Bear Bryant before he went off and made himself famous at some tiny school in... Alabama?

Anyway, it's a great book and great story. Never been, but I do know where it is.
Gig 'Em Aggies!

audrey` said...

Welcome back, Kristi!