Thursday, February 02, 2006

Story Time

Let me share a little story with you...

I went back to the gym last night, and wanted to speak with a manager about what had happened a few nights ago.

So the little Miss fake-tanned, "I-think-I'm-all-that-because-I-work-at-the-gym-and-guys-hit-on-me-all-day" girl at the front desk calls the manager over for me. He decides he wants to just stand right there where everyone can hear the conversation while I speak my peace.

Okay, fine. I can work with that.

So, in my most "I'm not angry; I just want to voice a concern for the benefit of ALL of the Gold's Gym members" voice, I started my speech.

"Hi, I'm the one who had my car broken into a few nights ago out in the parking lot."

"Uh-huh."

"Well, I just wanted to say that IF you all hadn't already considered it, it may be a good idea to put some lights out in the back part of the parking lot, as well as... (I was going to say "security cameras", but I was rudely cut off by Miss fake tan, "I-work-at-the-gym" girl.

Suddenly, one of the MANY signs cluttering the front desk is shoved in my face. Miss Fake-Tan proceeded, snarlingly,

"Here. Read THIS!"

Ummm.... EXCUSE ME??? I have some major problems with this.

First of all, little Miss fake tan, "I-work-at-the-gym-and-guys-hit-on-me" girl, I was NOT talking to YOU!

Secondly, even if I was talking to you, that is no way to treat a cumstomer.

Thirdly, who comes in here and reads every single one of your tacky signs, when all they want to do is give one, simple suggestion to the manager and go on with their workout?

NOW, bug off!

The sign said something about "Here are some things that we are planning to do in the future because of our increased membership..... "

And way down at the bottom of the list was "put lights in the back parking lot."

Well, okay. Fine. So the problem was already being addressed, but I can think of hundreds of NICER ways to tell someone that. Can't you?

And on top of it all, Mr. Professional Manager just says,

"Okay." That was IT! No "I'm sorry for what happened to you." or "Thanks for bringing that to our attention." or anything of the sort. Just, "Okay."

Is it unreasonable to be a little irritated at this kind of customer service? I mean, c'mon. Apparentlly they don't want my business too much.

So, I emailed the "Top Dawg" of Gold's Gyms. Maybe I can get a few months free or something. I love how that works. Emailing complaints is one of the best things ever invented. I have gotten so much free stuff that way. People respond so much nicer to an email than face to face. And I can keep my cool a lot better as well!!

*******************************************
Update: This is SO funny! As soon as I finished posting this, my phone rang. It was the head guy that got my email. He was apologizing all over himself, and said he was personally coming to my gym tonight to meet me, and make sure the situation was properly taken care of!! I told you the email thing does wonders!

16 comments:

Lori said...

I like your blog, real stuff... Where in SC are you from?

Kristi B. said...

Thanks Lori! I work in Columbia, and live in Irmo. Gotta love the great SC!

Katie said...

go girl, way to stick it to the man, power to the people, oh wait we're not protesting anything, darn

Really though, congrats on 1)saying something, most people don't take the time and 2)getting action out of it

Kc said...

I think it's good to evaluate your expectations and plan accordingly. It seems you almost knew what to expect rationally but decided to expect what you hoped for. Now this should not necessarily alter your requirements but it will help you plan to completion and prevent future disappointment.

How's that for two cent? (hehe)
;-)

Kc said...

BTW I really hope things continue to go well tonight.

Kristi B. said...

Kc, I'm going to have to read your first statement at least ten more times before I comprehend its full impact. Wow.

Matthew Celestine said...

Sounds pretty shabby.

Stephanie said...

HAHAHAHAHA way to go girl! I would have been ticked at "little miss fake tan/guys hit on me all day long" girl too: those girls irritate me anyway. lol

Glad to hear things are being resolved.

Antonio said...

Kristi,

You gotta keep us informed here of what happens tonight when little-miss-i-have-a-fake-tan-and-shapely-legs-because-i-work-in-a-gym-whre-guys-hit-on-me-all-day and manager-i-don't-care-about-your-situation sees you together with top-dawg-said-guy-in-authority.

i want to see the look of panic on her face.

I also would be interested in what free stuff you get. Maybe some compensation for your car being broekn into.

You never know!

Antonio

Tim said...

Sometimes people can be so inconsiderate, like those people you spoke to at the gym. That is so cool that head honcho guy is coming to your gym to take care of it.

kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said...

Yes, I have found that out as well! A few times I've email my complaint of getting ripped off by some mobile service of something like that. And I usually end up getting a refund. The other day however I tried to get a wallpaper on my phone and i had to sms this code of something. Anyway All of a sudden I was getting bombarded with like 3 advertising msg every from that mobile club. It was probably more like very half an hour. Within 4 hours of when this first started I shockingly discovered that my phone credit had gone from $80 to $0. So they were like taking $5 out of my credit everytime 'they sent to me' these stupid advertising things. I was so angry. I havn't gotten up the nerve to complain yet, but I think I will. You've motivated me.

Anonymous said...

you go girl! here, it's the other way around. when we email complaints, it just piles up and nothing happens. as if they put that email thing on their site for display only. but when you go to that establishment and show how angry and irritated you are with their service, they take you seriously, showers you with sorry's and gets the freebees all together.

audrey` said...

How is your cough, Kristi?
Take care.
Love You ;)

Kristi B. said...

I ended up having to go get my phone situation squared away last night. It ended up taking longer than expected, so I did not get to the gym until just before 9:00. The head guy had already left... We should have set up a time, huh? He just said, "Well, I'll be there tonight... ask for Bobby." I'm sure he'll be back. I'll catch up with him later.

Audrey, my cough is no better =( I have some pretty wicked bronchitis going on.

Kc said...

Kristi you may need some meds. Take care of you, you're the only you there is! ;-)

Bill said...

I know it's difficult dealing with rude people....I would do the same thing that you did. But keep in mind that our battle isn’t against flesh and blood but against principalities and the enemy of our soul would love for us to lose sight of this. I fall into this trap every day, so don’t think I have it all together, but at the same time; we should strive to really pray for and respond in meekness and in pure love for those who do not appear to deserve that kind of response for us. Does that make sense?