Thursday, February 23, 2006

Texas Trip Part 2

San Antonio was beautiful, as always. My cousin Kelsey took me out with some of her 16-year-old friends in her brand new 2-door bright red Honda Accord. Yeah, bad combination. New, 16 yr. old driver in a new, fast, sporty car. Let's just say it helped my prayer life out a good bit!



Then I stayed with my good friend Valerie for a few days. She has a two and a half year old, Gabriella, and a 1 week old, Angelina. They were just precious. Gabriella was so full of personality. The minute I stepped in the door, she ran up to me and wanted me to hold her and was giving me hugs and kisses. It was just sweet. Then it was three days of feeding babies, changing diapers, reading books, watching cartoons, cleaning up messes, putting down for naps, waking up from naps, the whole deal. I suppose I thought it was so much fun because I could leave any time I wanted! I knew my life wasn't going to stay like that for long. But I did really enjoy it.


Then there's Jason. Valerie's brother. We dated 4 years ago, and it's been that long since I've seen him, because he's been in Iraq. I knew it was going to be slightly awkward seeing him again. It wasn't too bad the first couple days. We hung out as friends and caught up on a lot of stuff. Then we had "the talk." uuggghhhh. I hate having to be serious! Anyways, I know you don't really care about all the juicy details, so basically, he told me he still liked me a lot and he just felt a special connection between us, and wanted to try dating again... blah, blah, blah.

Well, believe it or not, I've actually grown up a bit in the past four years, and don't just swoon and lose all sense when somebody starts talking to me this way. So, I had to be a little heart-breaker once again. (I'm getting to be pretty good at that, and I don't like it at all!)

"Jason, there's a lot of things I really like about you. You'll make a great dad one day; I know you'll always treat your girl very well; you're hard-working... But there's one thing that is missing. One thing that's very important to me. I need a guy who is a strong spiritual leader. I need HIM to be the one that wakes up Sunday morning, and says "c'mon; we're going to church." I need HIM to be the one to initiate prayer and Bible reading. Jason, yes, you're a Christian, and that's wonderful, but it doesn't seem to mean very much to you right now. You've got a lot of bitterness built up in your life towards God, and you need to deal with that. You've got to let it go, and start wanting to be a better Christian. Yes, I care about you, but I cannot let this one slide. It's too important."

Whew. Okay, so it wasn't quite that thought out or clear when I actually said it, but that's the idea I was trying to communicate. Not an easy thing to do at all, but it needed to be done.

My cousin must have good connections at the airlines, because I flew from San Antonio back to Houston, and I was the only stand-by person they allowed on the flight. They turned everyone else away, because it was booked. Then, my flight from Houston back to Columbia, the same thing happened. Well, this time, they weren't even going to let me on the flight. But Brian was with me, and he went and talked to somebody, and next thing ya' know, I'm on the flight. Praise the Lord.

So that's a briefing of my trip. There was so much more that happened, but I don't have the time, so I'll spare you all the other details!

10 comments:

Katie said...

sounds like a great trip with lots of good friends and family

hold out for that leader, they're out there and well worth the wait

Out Of Jersey said...

cute pics of you, looks like you had a great time. we don't have any land like that in NJ.

jw said...

sounds like a fantastic trip, nice pics!

Timothy said...

Kristi,
Glad you are back... Sorry for Jason. And I almost puked when you started you speech... but... glad I read it because you centered in on the most important thing. The MAN MUST BE THE SPIRITUAL LEADER! Allow me to say that again... THE MAN MUST BE THE SPIRITUAL LEADER!

That is why I could never date any of the girls at seminary for very long. Most of them wanted to be the spiritual leaders, and wanted me to follow them in the "mission" and "ministry." Whatever gunk that was.

So the LORD gave me Beth! She loves it when I take the lead... and I love leading.. funny for a pastor to say... but it's true.

But I know from the fall that the tendency is to be just the opposite. So maybe Jason heard you...
Blessings
PS Glad you are back... Beth and I missed your posts!

Tim said...

I think one of the major reasons why I am a divorcee is because I wasn't able to be the spiritual leader when I needed to be. By the time I got to that point where I could be it was too late.

Not that you needed to know this but you're speech to Jason made it click inside my head. Thanks for that.

Glad you had a great stay in San Antonio and relaxing trip overall.

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Not coming to Dallas!? Shame on you.
:-)

Anonymous said...

tsk tsk tsk... annie o then a heart breaker now. hehe...

that would just probably inspire jason to take his christianity more seriously.

audrey` said...

WOW!

You had so much fun =D

jay lassiter said...

nice things happen to nice people which is why you got on that plane.
It's good karma!

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
Projectors dallas texas Answering machine messages by george bush mp3