Monday, November 12, 2007

Before You Say Goodbye

Dedicated to my Great-Aunt, Barbara Wilcox, who today was given 10 days left of life here on this earth.

One more game of skip-bo,
Just one more chocolate pie;
One more loving lecture
Before you say goodbye.

A walk to the springs,
An morning on the porch,
Hot soup in on the stove--
These mem'ries will be my torch.

You've touched so many lives;
Taught so much by your smile.
It's time for you to rest
As you cross that final mile.

Taking pictures on the steps,
Sending cards in the mail--
I don't know how you did it,
Staying strong, while so frail.

You did so much for others,
Saw the good through all the bad.
You're truly my life's hero,
So just let my heart be sad.

I'll see you soon over there.
We'll walk and talk and laugh.
You're in a better place now,
So don't blame me if I ask--

One more hug and cheery smile,
Just one more twinkle in your eye;
One more reassuring touch
Before you say goodbye.

3 comments:

Corry said...

We will be praying!

Mail or call us sometime, girl. We miss ya.

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about this, kristi. said a prayer for your aunt.

Tim said...

What a beautiful poem.









flyxx