Thursday, December 01, 2005

Lonely?

Alone


Only one set of footprints along the edge of the sea.
One lawn chair in the sand, but no need for a frisbee.

One warm seat by the fire beside a cold, empty chair.
Only one stocking hung by the chimney with care.

One hand clutching a casket, but no one to hold the other.
One smile fades quickly, not returned by another.

Only one rising early for a brisk morning walk,
One lays downs at night after checking the lock.

Only one meal, “Yes, that will be To Go”;
One lovely drive home, but no one to show.

One figure lost midst the others bustling through the mall,
Only one tear, but wiped away, unnoticed by all.

Only one shadow passing through the doors of the church,
One heart is touched; it’s the end of his search--

One ragged, beaten man trudges up a hill
Only one rejected, yet crying, “Lord, not my will.”

One man dies in darkness between two thieves,
Only one while in death, sinners receives.

One Man rose again, offers life through His death only,
So that others, though alone, have no reason to be lonely.

By Kristi Reese

10 comments:

Kc said...

This is such a powerful poem. You have a truly wonderful gift.

Anonymous said...

GO KRISTI! that is really good. i have never been to poetic but you sure are. i am really amazed. keep it up girl!

steve said...

OK. I may have to put this to music...

Beautiful.

I can't stand poems. Nope. Not at all. NEver write em. never read em.

;-)

Bill said...

Kristi,

I am absolutely amazed at this. You have captured a place where my hear has been many times in my life. I can totally relate to lonliness. Even being married and having kids there are times when I feel as if I am the only person on the plant that feels alone. Thank you for sharing this. I am really blessed by it.

Kristi B. said...

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words!!

jbb said...

hey i loved the poem very touching. its always nice to read some one else work. my poem that you liked wasent really about me, it was just what i wrote about. im not really sure where it came from. as for me im doing ok. not great but im surviving, still struggling, but often i think thats the nature of life. i hope your doing good and keep up the good writing!

Ron said...

I would only be repeating what all the others have said. Very powerful and concise. Well said!

DBFrank said...

Wow. Great!
Found you via Steve's place.

Corry said...

What they said ^:-)

I would like to ask to pray for all those who are lonely and alone.

God's Grace.

Kristi B. said...

Thanks!

Yes, it can get very lonely around the holidays for many people. Thanks for the reminder to keep them in prayer, Corry!