Friday, March 03, 2006

Directions

None of this
“Say what?” confusion
No. I need
Clear cut conclusions.
Precise and concise
Unmistakable and unbreakable
Direction.

(Wait—correction—
Directions.)

How do I guide this ride?
Left or right? Stop or go?
Speed it up or take it slow?
So much I don’t know.

So many areas of gray
Cloud my vision. I pray
That I may see the way.
I pray God will direct my path;
That I’ll do right, and avoid His wrath.

I must trust in Him with all my heart.
Acknowledge Him from the start.
Lean not to my understanding,
But listen to His commanding.

The answer is there.
It’s just not clear
What to do while I wait.
Sometimes I create
More of a problem than really exists.
Why do I insist and persist?

I’ll just let it go
For truly I know
That all in time
It begins to rhyme.

One small step is revealed
While the next is still concealed.
But in faith stepping out
Is what it’s all about
Give up all my doubt.
And wait for the next confirmation
While I make the observation
That day by day
God’s directing my way.

What seems so cloudy today
Will clear up day by day
As His will I obey.

In time I'll look back
And see this direction I lack
As a tool to grow me,
To show me
That faith in action
Is the simple reaction
God is looking for.
Because then He can give more
Directions He has in store.

At the end of my time here,
When I wonder how I got there,
I'll see step by step directions
Mixed with much love and affection
From my heavenly Father.
And I'll laugh at why I bothered
To worry so much
Doubt, and fret, and such
When God was right there to lead
And care for my every need.

5 comments:

Tim said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who deals with this...

and very elegantly written, too.

Corry said...

Life is a struggle, huh? Oh...no it's not, we make it one, hehe.

Great poem and I like the conclusion. God will show. Prayers and patience...:-)

God's Grace.

Kc said...

Outstanding in both content and quality. You got it goin on! ;-)

jay lassiter said...

One good poem deserves another. when you read this one, read it aloud and allow yourself to hear the words.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son! (or daughter!)
-Rudyard Kipling
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bobby said...

Cool! Since you're a poet and a musician, I have to ask, do you write songs?