Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Inclination towards passion

Psalm 119:36 "Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to covetousness."

This verse really spoke to me the other night. I have a goal to live with passion in 2006. Mostly, but not totally, I am focusing on developing a greater passion for God and His Word. The verse above, with its simple, direct request, helped me to understand a little more of what having a passion for God is all about.

Covetousness--Greatly desiring other things, people, places, or feelings that other people have; discontentment with what God has given you.

Incline--to bend towards; to lean in a specific direction; to move in a direction based on desire to do so

So, we could say, "Make my heart bend towards your Word; cause my heart to lean in your direction; allow me to move towards your Word, because I want to hear what you have to say; and please do not allow my heart to desire the things You have blessed others with. Keep my heart content with You and Your Word."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this verse, Kristi! It is so easy for us to get our focus on what others already have and in the meantime forget what we do have right now. We are more blessed than we even realize, although we often think that we are lacking something better. I think that contentment is one of the most difficult things to have living in America because of all there is surrounding us. We have the greatest wealth in the world in our Lord Jesus. May we have a greater passion for Him where we can find our total contentment.

Nunzia said...

Im thinking of writing that down and posting it on my fridge! God bless you!

Kc said...

It would be wonderful to be passionate in the intent that verse relates. Great post. ;-)

steve said...

good words.God is good

Gordon said...

Kristi, God bless you in your desire to love Him and know Him more. I pray that you never waver from this.

Bobby said...

What an insightful study of a great verse. And that is truly the cure for covetousness -- to draw near to God, to thirst after His Word and to value Him above all else.

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
God is good, it is awesome when we read verses that totally apply to the things that we are going through or things that we are seeking, good study. Keep up God's good work kid

Logan

Matthew Celestine said...

I would like to have a greater passion for God. Another thing to be praying for.

God Bless

Matthew

Katie said...

kristi - i keep coming back and reading this over and over again, not because I don't agree or understand it but maybe because I need to hear it over and over to really accept it

thanks wonderful girl for the nugget of wisdom

Kristi B. said...

You all are so cool! =)

kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said...

There are some people I know who get very passionate about eveyrhting. They're visually passionate people. I get passionate about some things, but it sometimes harder to get passionate about God. I'm not sure why. I guess maybe because it takes alot of prayer and seeking God and it doesn't just 'happen'. it builds over time and you have to work at it. I guess that's what God's shown me. I am continually trying to be more passionate. Also being passionate is more about the inside and not what you 'look like to others'. Some people may seem passionate, but only God knows how passionate in their heart they are. God Bless!

Out Of Jersey said...

to have passion, love, and joy in God, to have our heart in his love and grace, that is so cool.

audrey` said...

Very cool post, Kristi :)