Thursday, March 02, 2006

Passing of a great pianist

I recently learned that my all-time favorite pianist passed away a week ago at the young age of 44. He had a massive heart attack while on stage during a Caribbean cruise. ANTHONY BURGER was a giant in Gospel music. He was simply the best pianist around. I own just about all of his CD's and cassettes, and a music book or two so I could make my feeble attempts at playing his arrangements.

You can read his bio here.

Read here to see what friends had to say about him.

And yet another truibute.

Here's all the details of the night of his death.

To quote Phil Cross, "Pianos of earth must now cry as they say goodbye to a master." How true, but the pianos in heaven must be rejoicing as they welcome him home.




8 comments:

Bobby said...

I've never seen a pianist like that. I remember first seeing him perform back when I was in elementary school. I had no idea anyone could play like that.

This is a guy who could have made a lot more money, and a much bigger name for himself, had he not chosen to dedicate his skills to God. What an inspiration.

Gordon said...

There has never been an individual in Gospel Music who has stood head and shoulders above his peers (talent wise) the way Anthony did.

His music glorified God as did his testimony.

Bill said...

He is making the best music ever now.....you thought he was good a week ago; I bet he totally Rocks in his new glorified body.

John Gillmartin said...

Really nice tribute. He will really be missed by the Gaithers and friends.

I looked all over for a picture like the one you posted, where did you find it?

sofyst said...

I like you.

Kristi B. said...

J A Gillmartin, I just did a google image search for "anthony burger" to get that picture.

Katie said...

kristi, I'm sad to admit I don't know who Anthony Burger is. But from the praise you heap on him I can only imagine he was an amazing pianist. I like seeing your admiration for him by honoring him with this post.

Bill said...

Kristi,

I love the new lay out on your blog. It is pretty cool.