Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I AM

I AM by Helen Mallicoat

I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking,
"My name is I AM." He paused. I waited. He continued.

"When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets,
it is hard. I am not there. My name is not I WAS.

When you live in the future, with iths problems and fears,
it is hard. I am not there. My name is not I WILL BE.

When you live in this moment, it is not hard.
I am here. My name is I AM."

*********************************
If you are anything like me, life is just not making sense right now. You're wondering how many more disappointments you can handle, and when everything is going to start "working together for good." I suppose, we should stop looking for things to make sense and work out for good at some distant time in the future, and see how God is working for good right now today. At the same time, we should also be careful not to limit God's working in the present by living in the past and not letting go of mistakes and disappointments that bog us down. This can be really hard to actually put into practice. I'm definitely sharing something that I need to work on myself...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny. I've been talking to a friend for a while about my many disappointments. It seemed one disappointment would come, and it was when you set up a bunch of dominoes side by side, and soon as one falls, another would fall, than another. The dominoe affect. That's how i felt. One disappoint fell into to my lap, than another.
Many disappointments, mistakes, and regrets plague my past. The problem is that i hold on to them. I hold on to one than another, and so on, until i can't carry anymore, and i fall under the weight of it all.
God walks by and sees me on the ground. He says, "What are you doing down there, and what is all that you are carrying?" I tell him it all the things i did wrong in my past. It got to heavy for me to carry.
God asks, "Why didn't you ask ME for help? You can't move forward with all that useless weight on you. Let ME take that off of you. I'll take it from here; don't worry about these anymore."

People have a hard time forgiving themselves for things they have done wrong or things others have done to them. We end up carrying these things above or head, and everytime we look up, all we see is our sins. That's God's domain. when we place our sins there our vision to God is blurred. Thing is, we don't have the power to forgive sins. God has that power. God will always be there when we look up; our sins don't have to be.
Psalm 121:1 says, "I WILL lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help."
What do you see when you lift your eyes?
What would happen if we drove our cars, and looked back all the time? We'll crash!! Same thing with holding on to the past.
Have you ever tried to look at something far away, and couldn't tell what it was until you got closer to it. That's the future. Wait until it comes, don't dwell on it. You still have the things in front of you to deal with.

If you dwell on the past, you fall, or crash. if you think about the future, you can miss the things happening now.
Let go and let God. Psalm 55:22.
This is something i definately need to learn, because my back is aching, and my legs are tired.
Remember, you're not, but I AM.