Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Identify, please!

Last night I was reading some passages from the Gospels, and I came across the story of the prodigal son. As I read the first few verses, I thought, "O Lord, this is me. Why am I content to feed on the cornhusks, when I could be dining at Your table? Please help me to get out of the mire and muck of this depressing world, and enjoy the blessings of the Christian life."

Then I proceeded on to the end of the story, and now I identified with the older son! So many times it seems like blessings come to those whose lives are not anywhere near what they should be, and instead of rejoicing in God's love and care for the sinner, I find myself with a proud, envious attitude like the older brother. I think "God, I haven't messed up my life nearly as bad as that person. I'm trying to serve You and love You and do my best. That person has been living in sin, and they make one right choice finally, and Your shower of blessings come down. But what about me? I'm still trying to do right, and I don't get those kind of showers!" What a rotten attitude! But then I noticed what the Father said to the older son: "Son, you are ever with me, and all that I have is Yours!" Wow! Hello! Those showers of blessings are right at my fingertips, every day. All I have to do is claim them. God is a wonderful Father!

Who do you identify with? The younger or older son? Or both, like me?

6 comments:

Kc said...

I am both as well. Always at the table but refusing to eat for fear of looking unappreciative like the prodigals gathered around me. Great post Kristi!

Corry said...

Both as well.
I sometimes can't appreciate and be grateful for what is and all seems so unfair. Counting my blessings helps:-)

God's Grace.

Corry said...

Kristi, would you mind if I link to you on my blog?

God's Grace.

Kristi B. said...

Thanks for the comments.

Corry, I would be happy to have you link to me!

The JadedCM said...

I identify with the elder brother. As one who always tries to "do it right" I usually miss all that is right under my nose all along.

Kristi B. said...

Welcome and thanks for your comments, "thejadedcm"! I agree, it's so easy to miss our blessings sometimes. Like Corry said, it helps to count them.