Thursday, August 18, 2005

How Badly do you Want what you Have?

Okay, this is what I've been considering: How do you know if something is from God or Satan. You may think it should be really obvious, and most of the time it is. But consider with me a few areas that may be a little more difficult to discern--Popularity, material goods, riches, relationships. I remembered something I heard an evangelist say once, "Satan will give you what you want, but it will cost you what you have." I think in this statement we can find the deciding factor--is it costing what you already have from God, or is it adding to it? Here is a list of some things Satan could give you, and what they may cost:



Worldly goods--may cost you your satisfaction and contentment with Christ


Popularity/Fame--may cost you your humble walk with God

Riches--may cost you your dependence upon God


World's endorsement--may cost you God's endorsement


A relationship--may cost you time which could be better used serving God.



Now, if Satan is the one who wants to give you these things, it will cost you what you have. But, if God so chooses to bless you with some of these things, I believe it will add to what you already have.



Sometimes it is good to examine what we have in our lives, and ask the question, "Did I give up something even more valuable in order to have this?"

1 comment:

Kristi B. said...

Yeah, of course you can steal the idea. . . it's not like I didn't take any of yours! And I know Kelli will appreciate it!