Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Reformation or Salvation?

I've been perusing through some blogs on soteriology, and a certain issue keeps coming to the surface which I would like to address. Now, from the onset, I do not claim to be any kind of authority, or person with wonderfully logical arguments, but I do study the Word of God, and have a sincere desire to keep my beliefs in line with what the Bible teaches.

A very, very great majority of Christianity today agrees with the teaching that Biblical repentance is a turn from sin and to God. I disagree. Now, let me make myself clear. I DO believe that repentance is necessary for salvation. However, I do NOT believe that repentance (and all it's various forms) in the Bible carries the same meaning that it does today--this meaning of turning from sin. I have several reasons for this stand that I take:

1. Salvation in its entirety is the work of God; and in no part is it the work of man. "Turning from sin" is something that MAN does. Consider the unregenerate person. The Bible makes it clear that before salvation, all men are "dead in their sins" (Eph. 5:1) What can a dead man do? Nothing! Therefore, without the Holy Spirit already in our lives to impower us and convict us of sin, we are powerless creatures to turn from our sin.

2. Putting conditions to turn from sin on a person's faith in Christ alone for salvation is a contradiction of Scripture. Now I am not saying that the Bible doesn't teach us to turn from our sin. (It most certainly does teach a child of God to turn from sin.) I am saying that it doesn't teach that as a requirement for salvation. If you tell a person he has to clean up his life to be saved, you are preaching Reformation but not Salvation. There is a big difference. Remember the parable about the man who had a demon? He swept and cleaned up his house, and the demon left. But when the demon returned, he saw the place was all cleaned up, so he called seven others even stronger than himself to come inhabit this man. The man had reformed his life, but had not been saved. The only single thing a sinner can do in his lost state to be saved, is to say by faith, "God You have completely made the way for me. I trust what Your Son did on the cross to be my complete payment for sin and my only way to heaven."

3. If repentance in the Bible meant "to turn from sin and turn to God", then how do you explain that over 50% of the time a form of repent is used in the Bible, it is referring to God? How can God turn from sin, and turn to Himself? That doesn't make any sense. However, if you take the original Greek meaning into consideration, "a change of mind", it makes perfect sense. God changed his mind about destroying the children of Israel and making a nation of Moses. He changed his mind back in Noah's day regarding the fact that He had even created man. Relating to salvation, the lost changes their mind about what they previously held to as a way of salvation, and accepts God's way. This is so critical. They must realize, "my thinking was wrong. I cannot get to God my own way. I must come His only way." This my friend, is true Biblical repentance. And many times, this change of mind--YES, it WILL lead to sorrow for sin, it WILL lead to a turn to God and away from sin. It LEADS to that, but that is not what it IS. Am I making sense?

Well, now this brings up another point. Because people out there will accuse me of preaching "easy believism" or "cheap grace" or whatever you may call it, because they say, I am teaching people to accept Christ and go out and live as they please. This could not be further from the truth. First of all, let me say that grace is not cheap! It cost our precious Jesus Christ His life's blood! Now, can a person trust Christ, be saved, and have no changes in their life? I answer this with a NO. Although, with some people, we may not see the outward changes we would want to see, the Holy Spirit comes to live inside of every believer That is a big change!. He is working in that person's life, convicting them of sin, and encouraging them to live a life that will honor their Savior. Does everyone respond to Him? Sadly, no. But we cannot say that they are not saved.

When people really get a glimpse of the truth that Jesus Christ gave us everlasting life as a free gift--we did nothing but receive it--and He did everything to purchase it, that alone should be enough to cause everyone to live a holy life for Him. If we don't, we will receive His chastening hand, but we will not lose our salvation.

Thank you Lord, I have not just reformed my life, but You have saved me and reformed me by your Holy Spirit!

6 comments:

Kristi B. said...

P.S. I hope I didn't offend anyone if I got too close to the "preachy" side for a woman!

Kc said...

Kristi I totally agree with your understanding of repentance. I might disagree with you on women and preaching (grin). Seriously we’re all preachers but not all Bishops and Deacons right?. Now about not being good with the logical arguments, here again we disagree. ;-)

I’m honored you linked to me and I hope you don’t mind I linked to you as well.

Kristi B. said...

Kc, it's great to know there is someone else out there who agrees with me on the repentance thing! And thanks for the edifying words!

Ron said...

Kristi,

I truly enjoy it when we yield to the Spirit, because He can do some marvelous things! I was talking about this on my blog as well, and Kc (that great man!) suggested I see your blog. You bring up some great points. One point you mentioned was how many other times you see the word repent in the Bible. Judas repented! The Bible (KJV) explicitly states that. What I have come to understand by searching the root of the Greek word is that it comes from a word which means "to perceive afterward." It is the realization that what has occurred was wrong, while during the act the person may have seen nothing wrong with it. In essence, in order to change one's mind, the person has to first recognize that the act was wrong, which can only occur once. Once I know it is wrong, and I intentionally do the same act again, repentance is no longer appropriate. I would need to ask the Lord for forgiveness. I hope I am not preaching on your blog, but I really enjoy this subject! Maybe by reaching out to others, we can have some great discussion on this matter.

Kristi B. said...

Ron, thanks for the comment, and I appreciate your added perspective. It does make sense! And feel free to preach any time! I will go over and read what you had to say on yours!

Kristi B. said...

Thanks, StTrudi316, but I prefer to call it "sharing"! =)~