Monday, January 16, 2006

"I have a dream..."

Just thought that would be an appropriate title for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, even though that's not what I want to talk about. But, since I'm a state employee, I get this wonderful day off. Let the jealousy begin! Ha. ha.

Ever since the message in church last night, I have been in a deep pensive mood. I have been reminded of two different concepts from the Bible, and the repercussions of these concepts are conflicting in my head, and I am working oh so hard to reconcile the differences. I think I'm being way too analytical once again. But please share your wisdom with me.

Statement A: God's principles, as laid out in the Bible, cannot be broken.

Statement B: We have the ability to choose whether we obey God's commands or not.

Principle 1: "Be not deceived. God is not mocked. Whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap." Galatians 6:7

Command 1: "Honor thy father and thy mother." Ephesians 6:2

Principle 2: Generational sin--the sin of the fathers and mothers is passed down to the third and fourth generation.

Command 2: "Wherefore, putting away lying, let every man speak truth with his neighbor." Ephesians 4:25

Okay, with the above facts, I will build two scenarios. First, say we have a parent who has sown seeds of wrong, fleshily attitudes in his relationship with his children. As these children come of age, this parent begins reaping what he has sown (Principle 1). The children either imitate his attitudes and have total disregard for him, or with some Biblical training, the children try hard not to be like him at all, but still have wrong attitudes toward him and no respect for him. He is reaping what he sowed.

But, are not these children responsible for their own actions? God commands them to honor their parents (Command 1). So, how can God use their sin as a consequence for the parent's sin, and at the same time command them to have the opposite attitudes? Shouldn't the children choose to honor and respect their parent even though he doesn't necessarily deserve it? Yes. Right? Well then, the parent would no longer be reaping what he sowed (wrong, fleshly attitudes), and we have a broken principle. I think I am missing something. Help me out.

Okay, scenario 2. We have a parent who is a habitual liar. Just lies about everything. The child naturally picks up this sinful habit. But this child learns from the Bible that lying is wrong. (Command 2). So, he does his best to break the habit, and with the power of the Holy Spirit overcomes this great sin. The child grows up and has children. Now what?

With Principle 2, the sin of the parents is passed down to the third and fourth generation. What does this mean? That it takes about 4 generations to break a habit of sin? Or, that even if it is broken in generation 2, that generations 3 and 4 will still struggle with the same thing? I mean, I know we all struggle with sin, but obviously some sins are more of a struggle for some than others. We have the commands from God. We choose whether we obey them or not. But, we are automatically going to have a harder time with certain commands because of sins from generations ago? I don't know. I'm just kind of thinking as I go, and that's pretty dangerous!

Feel free to shed the light of your understanding on this.

7 comments:

Kc said...

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that God no longer holds new generations responsible for the sins of former generations. Once He had commanded all men everywhere to repent then each became accountable for himself to the Father.

I'm not sure I would say that the reaping would necessarily come from the children, only that it will come. I would also question your perception of the commandment. Does a child not honor his parents "in the Lord"? This is not a command to show respect toward evil behavior but to live according to the will of God thereby honoring the parents. I think mercy and forgiveness are the keys here that reverse what I call the the cycle of death.

Corry said...

I think living by God's Word, doing what He wants you to do, is essential and like Kc said:"to live according to the will of God thereby honoring the parents.."

As far as the reaping goes, one way or another, they will. I don't think it would have to be by/through their children.

God's Grace.

Tim said...

I think your two statements are 100% correct.

Your first principle I think applies primarily to the coming judgment in that he shall pay the ultimate penalty in eternity for choosing to disobey B and ignore A.

Regarding command one: that is true, but you also need to consider the other three verses in the passage to grasp the full meaning. Children need to obey their parents and parents shouldn't give their children cause to dishonor them.

Your second principle, I think, applied specifically to the nation of Israel for it's wholehearted rejection of their promised Messiah, then and now. So I don't think it applies in the way you're thinking. I don't think I'm responsible for the actions of my great, great, great, great grandfather, for example.

Regarding the second command that you give, I think you again need to consider the surrounding verses to add context. The truth you speak with your neighbor is biblical truth. This means gently pointing out attitudes or behaviors that run contrary to what scripture teaches.
Now you might say "how can I point out someone elses sin when I'm mired in my own?" Well if this were the case then listening to someone (a fellow sinner) teach in the word would be hypocritical and beneficial to no one.
The key here is not to compare your sin with mine BUT to compare your sin and mine with that of Jesus. If we do this then we see how radically inadequate we become and are.

Well these are thoughts from the top of my head. Hope they help your thought process on this...

Kristi B. said...

Thanks, you all have been very helpful. Sometimes my mind gets stuck in a rut, and I cannot see the whole picture clearly. I think I understand a lot better now.

Timothy said...

I think Dawn hit on it. Those cursed to the third and fourth generation are those who are outside the covenant. They are nonbelievers. Those inside the covenant of faith, are new creations and, while the general curse is still there, the specific curse is not necessarily there. They may still struggle with lying, but the essential curse has been broken because the grip of sin has been broken.

Christians, those born again, are the only ones who are free "not" to sin. All others are bound to sin. But since we have been freed by Christ, we have the freedom not to... doesn't mean we won't sin, but at least the freedom is there.

As for generational sins, there are still effects of that in general. I believe men are still responsible for the wives, and children to a certain point. We don't have near the free pass we think we do. We are still responsible for the spiritual well being of our wives, and our children. It's our responsibility to be the leaders of the family... so when a man doesn't take that roll, then there is sin passed on to the next generation.

OK... now that I've dropped that bombshell...

Kristi B. said...

Dawn and Titus,

I appreciate your imput. This is a concept I have struggled to understand for years, and you have helped it to make more sense in my head. Thanks!

Bill said...

Kristi,

It looks as if you have your answer? Awesome.