Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Feels Good to be Appreciated

I have often been discouraged when I felt like my friends didn't appreciate all that I do for them. I have lots of failures and short-comings, but one thing I can say, is that I work very hard at being a good friend--listening, encouraging, sharing, laughing, whatever it takes I try to be there for my friends when they need me.

I guess people don't understand that all that doesn't come naturally. It takes work. It takes God's strength and love.

(And I'm not talking about any of you bloggers--you guys are the most encouraging, appreciative group of people I've ever met!)

Maybe that's why I teared up and could hardly get any words out when my phone rang at 3:00 this morning, and a close friend was on the other line:

"Kristi, I'm really sorry for waking you up, but I just couldn't go another second without telling you how much I appreciate you and all you've done for me over the years. You've stuck with me through my worst and best days, and I never would have made it without you. You are one of the only friends I've got left, and I just want to thank you."

It was something like that anyways.... I never remember 3:00 in the morning phone calls all that well!

Things like that make everything worth it; it gives me motivation to do even better.

I know how we live, what we do and say shouldn't be based on how others respond, but it sure is a huge encouragement when they respond like this.

All the praise goes to Jesus who is the best Friend anyone could ask for and teaches us how to love our friends.

7 comments:

Tim said...

You know its probably one of those "it's a wonderful life" moments. Not often enough do we find out what kind of impact we've had on the lives of those that we meet & interact with wether it be on a daily basis or a casual chance meeting.

It definitely is encouraging to have calls like that one. Though why can't people tell you how much they appreciate you during the day???

Kc said...

When these things happen you have to wonder if you are being used by God as the last thread of hope for that person. It makes me think of a promise my best friend made once. He said, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee".

(It is also good to know we can call you late or early and you won't be angry (hehe)).

Corry said...

I agree with you that we shouldn't base what we do on other's responses nor to get or expect any gratitude from them. We just do it out of love. But to hear every now and then that it is appreciated is an encouragement.

Then again...maybe we should look at how God "adds all these things to us" and to our lives and get our encouragement from His appreciation, huh?:-)

God's Grace.

steve said...

Its cuz God is good!!!

Anonymous said...

i quite understand how you feel. being appreciated makes me feel like i want to do much better. always remember that you are a blessing to a lot of us here and we appreciate you in what you do for us.

God bless you.

David Edward said...

calls me at three in the morning, they will tell the answering amchine how wonderful I am....

audrey` said...

Kristi, you have been a great and special blessing in my life =D
Thank you so much :)